Big Brother is celebrating its landmark 20th birthday
Format | London | 17/09/2019
Big Brother, the original and best reality format is celebrating its landmark 20th birthday.
On the 16th September 1999 in the Netherlands, nine Housemates moved in a purpose-built house, equipped with 24 cameras and no contact with the outside world to be watched 24/ 7 by Big Brother. A cultural phenomenon was born, and the TV revolution aired its first ever episode that night on Dutch broadcaster Veronica, part of RTL.
Since its launch, Big Brother has taken the world by storm, with 471 series of 28,391 episodes commissioned in 60 markets and airing pan regionally in 80 since its launch. 7,153 housemates from around the globe have spent 35, 143 days in the house and there have been 5, 035 evictions.
Twenty years since its worldwide debut, Big Brother is enjoying one of its best years yet and is constantly being renewed internationally with 22 productions in 18 markets confirmed to air in 2019. This includes Poland where the format was filmed in the first ever non-purpose built house, the Philippines where the 100 day challenge has been extended to a 38 week experience, India where six versions in different regional languages are produced annually, as well as Italy, Spain and the US where the format has been a long-running hit since launching in 2000.
The Netherlands was the first country to create the celebrity version, which broadcast in June 2000. Known internationally as Big Brother VIP, this format continues to travel and is having a successful year with VIP 12 productions airing in 12 markets.
Global Agency and the SBS Contents Hub sign an exclusive representation agreement
Keshet International & M-Net Enter Co-Development Pact
Rabbit Films format Globetrotters lands in Greece for a local adaptation
Eccholine unveils The Ex Games and Double Double at Mipcom
Dom Serafini direttore di VideoAge in Ero gracile racconta la sua infanzia a colpi di B12
- Milan - 18/10/2019 Sky Original launches Anna the new series created by Niccolo Ammaniti: Produced by Wildside in coproduction with Arte France and Kwai read more
- Milan - 17/10/2019 Canale5 talent Amici Celebrities won pt slot with 3m/18.5%: NOVE premiered talk L'Assedio (1.3%). read more
- Rome - 11/10/2019 Dario Argento will direct a thriller series Longinus : The coproduction (Big Produzione and Publispei) will be filmed in several Italian and French set from the Alps to Siena read more
- Rome - 10/10/2019 Amazon announces first unscripted Italian Original TV Series Celebrity Hunted : The series is produced by Endemol Shine Italy for the platform read more
- Rome - 10/10/2019 Baby season 2 is back on Netflix next October 18: The series is produced by Fabula Pictures read more
- Rome - 09/10/2019 Sky Uno will premiere Family Food Fight next season: The format is produced by Endemol Shine Italy read more
- Cannes - 18/10/2019 The Advisory Board of the Abruzzo Film Commission will be introduced at tje AFM: The Board is made up of talents originally from Abruzzo who live and work in Hollywood read more
- Rome - 18/10/2019 Rai, France TV and ZDF launched the biopic Leonardo and mistery drama Sopravvissuti: Spy series Mirage and tv adaption of Jules Verne novel Around the world in 80 days are the other titles read more
- Cannes - 18/10/2019 MIPCOM closed with 13.500 participants coming from 111 countries: Laurine Garaude, director of the REED MIDEM television division announced the results during the traditional press conference read more
- Toronto - 10/10/2019 The 2020 Rockie Awards launches call for entries: Entries from more than 45 countries competing for the best tv show in different categories read more
- Paris - 08/10/2019 Mipcom celebrates diversity with a the special event TV Excellence Awards in Cannes: To be held at the InterContinental Carlton on Monday October 14 at 6.30pm by invitation only read more
- Paris - 01/10/2019 NHK to showcase ultra HK 8K Screenings at Mipcom: Nobel Laureate Kazuo Ishiguro’s novel “An Artist of the Floating World read more