Keshet Int'l with Hot and Unit Stud to launch new drama Autonomies
Scripted Format | Tel Aviv | 26/04/2018
Leading global content and media producer and distributor Keshet International today announces that it is partnering with HOT, Israel’s largest cable company, and United Studios of Israel on new drama Autonomies [picture], to distribute the series globally and launch it at Series Mania. Autonomies has also been selected to compete in the event’s Official Competition next week.
A dystopian drama starring some of Israel’s top acting talent, Autonomies is a globally-relevant tale focusing on the burning issues of identity, religion, politics and personal freedom. The story is set in an alternate reality of present day Israel, a nation torn and divided by a wall into the secular “State of Israel”, whose capital is Tel Aviv, and the “Haredi Autonomy” in Jerusalem, run by an ultra-Orthodox religious group.
Living in the Autonomy, amongst this uneasy territorial status quo, is Broide, a Haredi wheeler-dealer who makes his living smuggling minor contraband between the two regions. One day he receives a job offer that will change his life: he is asked to kidnap a little girl who is at the heart of a custody battle between two families – one secular and one Haredi – and transfer her from the State of Israel to the Haredi Autonomy. This legal saga, followed by the kidnapping of the child, fuels a dramatic uproar that threatens to tear a fragile country to pieces.
Autonomies is also an impossible love story between two characters living on opposite sides of the wall. Dramatically strong and thematic, this affair of the heart has uniqueness and symbolic meaning relating to the overarching discourse – they become their own version of "Bonnie and Clyde", embarking on the kidnapping of the little girl together.
Created by Yehonatan Indursky and Ori Elon (creators of Shtisel), Autonomies is produced for HOT by United Studios of Israel, in collaboration with The AVI CHAI Foundation and with the support of the Gesher Multicultural Film Fund Ministry of Culture and Sport. The series is expected to premiere on HOT TV this later summer.
Keren Shahar, President of Distribution, Keshet International, said: “We’re delighted to be partnering with HOT and United Studios on this exceptional and very timely drama, and to be bringing another fine Israeli drama to Series Mania and to the worldwide marketplace.”
The screening of the first two episodes of Autonomies will be held on Tuesday 1 May at 8pm in Nouveau Sičcle, and the second screening will take place on Wednesday 2nd May at 12pm at the Majestic movie theatre. Autonomies has also selected in the Official Competition, the winners of which will announced on Saturday 5th May at 8pm at the Nouveau Sičcle.
The selection of Autonomies for the Series Mania competition follows hot on the heels of the success of Keshet International’s When Heroes Fly, which won Best Series at Canneseries earlier this month, as well as the selection of its drama series Sleeping Bears at Berlinale earlier this year.
Also being screened at Series Mania is Keshet International’s US whodunit thriller from complex Networks, In The Vault, where two episodes will be shown as part of the event’s Short Form Panorama section. The 8x22’ or 24 x 7’series, produced by Haven Entertainment for Go90, tells the story of how, one month into freshman year at college, a student is killed at a party. In The Vault focuses on the victim's surviving hall mates as they come to suspect one another of being the killer. Each student has secrets that may or may not serve as a motive, and none are safe from the others’ suspicions. Each episode spotlights a different character, so a hero one week is a villain the next.
- Milano - 21/09/2018 Rai1 series Non dirlo al mio capo 2 won pt slot with 4.5m viewers: Rai2 premiered new edition of Pechino Express with 1.6m viewers read more
- Rome - 20/09/2018 Rai 1 Real Madrid-Rome match conquers 4.2 million viewers : Canale 5 broadcast a comedy movie with 2.4 million viewers read more
- Rome - 19/09/2018 Canale 5 reality show Temptation Island vip recorded 3.4 million viewers: The first episode broadcast on Tuesday September 18 got a very good result read more
- Rome - 19/09/2018 Patricio Teubal is the new GM at A+E Networks Italy: The manager was founder and CEO of Cucu Sports&Entertainment read more
- Rome - 18/09/2018 Rai1 drama La Vita Promessa still leader in prime time with 5 million viewers: The series featuring actress Luisa Ranieri is achivieng a big result read more
- Milano - 17/09/2018 Rai1 premiered new drama series La vita promessa that won pt slot with 4.9m viewers: Canale5 final episode of musical event Wind Summer Festival recorded 1.6m viewers read more
- Paris - 18/09/2018 Colman Domingo and CEO Josh Sapan together for a keynote at Mipcom: The event to be held in Cannes on 16th October in the Grand Auditorium read more
- Paris - 11/09/2018 MIPCOM today announces that China will be its 2018 Country of Honour: The world’s entertainment content market, MIPCOM takes place in Cannes, France, from 15-18 October. read more
- Paris - 10/09/2018 President of DreamWorks Animation Margie Cohn to keynote at MipJunior: The big event to be held in Cannes on 13 and 14 October 2018 read more
- Paris - 10/09/2018 Russian drama Trigger to premiere at the Pre-Opening TV in Cannes: The event to be held in Cannes on Sunday, October 14 at 6.30pm read more
- Paris - 29/08/2018 TV Kids series Moon and Me to debut in Cannes at Mipcom: The brand co-created by Andrew Davenport read more
- Singapore - 18/07/2018 Saff Project Market: Where film concepts go to become reality: Call for project submission opens 2 July 2018 read more