Beta Cinema is arriving at Cannes Fest with The Gentle Indifference
Format | Munich | 26/04/2018
With a powerful line-up and two titles in the official selection, Beta Cinema is on its way to the Cannes Film Festival. Spearheading the slate is the newly-acquired poetic love story THE GENTLE INDIFFERENCE OF THE WORLD, which will celebrate its world premiere in the Un Certain Regard section. The feature of Kazakh director Adilkhan Yerzhanov (“The Owners”), beautifully photographed by DOP Aidar Sharip, circles around young and handsome villager Saltanat and her loyal but penniless admirer Kuandyk on their way to the cruel city in a devastated attempt to save Saltanat’s mother from jail. La Semaine de la Critique hosts the world premiere of WOMAN AT WAR by acclaimed Icelandic filmmaker Benedikt Erlingsson (“Of Horses and Men”), in which fifty-year-old Halla declares a one-woman-war on the local aluminium industry to protect the pristine Icelandic Highlands she loves.
“I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world,” writes Albert Camus, paving the way for the playfully philosophical approach of director Adilkhan Yerzhanov. He displaces his characters, who are used to the vastness of the Kazakh steppe, and puts them right into the merciless heart of a city, where profit and money run the show. The couple, played with a heart-warming intensity by Dinara Baktybayeva and Kuandyk Dussenbaev, has to rely on their love to try to survive. Yerzhanov, participant at Berlinale Talents in 2014, was multiply nominated and awarded for his feature “The Owners”, which joined the official selection in Cannes, participated at Moscow IFF, was nominated for two Asian Pacific Screen Awards, won the Free Spirits award at Warsaw IFF and was awarded the Special Mention plaque at Chicago IFF, among other honours. THE GENTLE INDIFFERENCE OF THE WORLD is produced by Astana Film Fund, Short Brothers in co-production with Arizona Productions.
Handling international sales from script stage, Beta Cinema introduces Erlingsson’s second feature WOMAN AT WAR at Cannes Film Festival’s Critics’ Week. The film tackles the burning issue of ecological degradation trough the struggle of a woman, who alone against the odds and her entire community, decides to go on a mission to preserve nature and protect the highlands. She is prepared to risk everything – until an orphan unexpectedly enters her life. Erlingsson, who is also well known as an actor, theatre director and documentarian, garnered more than 20 awards for his directorial debut “Of Horses and Men”, including Best New Director at San Sebastián, Best Director at Tokyo IFF, the Grand Jury Prize at Les Arcs European Film Festival, six Edda awards (the “Icelandic Oscars”) and the prestigious Nordic Council Film Prize. WOMAN AT WAR is produced by Slot Machine and Gulldrengurinn in co-production with Solar Media Entertainment, Köggull SF and Vintage Pictures. As producers serve Marianne Slot, Carine Leblanc and Benedikt Erlingsson.
House of Talent captivates the young audience
Banijay Rights’ Hit Format, The Legacy, Set to Air for First Time in Belgium
Ottimo esordio per Romolo + Giuly – La guerra mondiale italiana
Endemol Shine Group announces management change in The Netherlands
Media Ranch reveals its line up of original formats at MIPCOM
- Milano - 21/09/2018 Rai1 series Non dirlo al mio capo 2 won pt slot with 4.5m viewers: Rai2 premiered new edition of Pechino Express with 1.6m viewers read more
- Rome - 20/09/2018 Rai 1 Real Madrid-Rome match conquers 4.2 million viewers : Canale 5 broadcast a comedy movie with 2.4 million viewers read more
- Rome - 19/09/2018 Canale 5 reality show Temptation Island vip recorded 3.4 million viewers: The first episode broadcast on Tuesday September 18 got a very good result read more
- Rome - 19/09/2018 Patricio Teubal is the new GM at A+E Networks Italy: The manager was founder and CEO of Cucu Sports&Entertainment read more
- Rome - 18/09/2018 Rai1 drama La Vita Promessa still leader in prime time with 5 million viewers: The series featuring actress Luisa Ranieri is achivieng a big result read more
- Milano - 17/09/2018 Rai1 premiered new drama series La vita promessa that won pt slot with 4.9m viewers: Canale5 final episode of musical event Wind Summer Festival recorded 1.6m viewers read more
- Paris - 18/09/2018 Colman Domingo and CEO Josh Sapan together for a keynote at Mipcom: The event to be held in Cannes on 16th October in the Grand Auditorium read more
- Paris - 11/09/2018 MIPCOM today announces that China will be its 2018 Country of Honour: The world’s entertainment content market, MIPCOM takes place in Cannes, France, from 15-18 October. read more
- Paris - 10/09/2018 President of DreamWorks Animation Margie Cohn to keynote at MipJunior: The big event to be held in Cannes on 13 and 14 October 2018 read more
- Paris - 10/09/2018 Russian drama Trigger to premiere at the Pre-Opening TV in Cannes: The event to be held in Cannes on Sunday, October 14 at 6.30pm read more
- Paris - 29/08/2018 TV Kids series Moon and Me to debut in Cannes at Mipcom: The brand co-created by Andrew Davenport read more
- Singapore - 18/07/2018 Saff Project Market: Where film concepts go to become reality: Call for project submission opens 2 July 2018 read more