Warner Bros appoints for Korean drama
Scripted Format | USA | 23/04/2018
Warner Bros Entertainment has appointed two execs from its recently acquired streamer DramaFever to oversee its Korean scripted series.
Suk Park and Hyun Park have been named co-heads of production and acquisitions for Korean drama at Warner Bros and will be responsible for acquiring and producing TV content for the Korean market.
The brothers will also licence Korean formats for the US and import Warner Bros TV formats such as The Mentalist into Korea, reporting to Craig Hunegs and Marc Gareton.
The former is president of Warner Bros Digital Networks and president of business and strategy at Warner Bros TV, while Gareton is exec VP in Asia Pacific for Warner Bros Home Entertainment & International Production.
Suk is based in New York and Hyun in Seoul, with the duo reporting to Hunegs for DramaFever-related projects and Gareton regarding international production matters. Suk and Hyun first joined the Warner Bros family in 2016 when the US giant acquired DramaFever, the streaming company Suk co-founded in 2009 with Seung Bak. It is now part of Warner Bros’ Digital Networks division. “Suk’s great creative taste and relationships with the top Korean production companies and talent have made DramaFever the number-one destination for Korean programming in America,” Hunegs said. “With Suk’s new role further enhancing our presence in Korea and Asia, DramaFever is poised for continuing rapid growth.”
Gareton added that Hyun’s “great strategic insight and experience” and “incredible knowledge” would be “invaluable as we underline our commitment to local talent and local content in Korea, which now includes TV drama as well as our established film production.”
Warner Bros acquired New York-headquartered DramaFever from Japanese telecom firm Softbank. It offers thousands of hours of content including popular Korean dramas, translated into English, Spanish and Portuguese, across a range of devices.
Suk previously served as DramaFever president, overseeing the company’s growth over the past decade, while Hyun was VP from 2012 and focused on licensing Korean content into the service and building local partnerships.
Earlier this year Warner Bros appointed Rena Liu as general manager of the streaming platform. Korean dramas have become popular around the world over recent years, with scripted format sales also enjoying success. ABC in the US recently ordered a second season of its freshman medical drama The Good Doctor, which is based on the Korean series of the same name.
When Heroes Fly new drama series launched by Keshet Int is a hit
Morandi gira la seconda stagione dell'Isola di Pietro 2
Turkish drama Mrs Fazilet and her daugthers continue to attract viewers in Chile
Inter Medya announces new deals for the drama series THE PIT (ÇUKUR)
New drama sereies Il Capitano Maria won the slot with 7 million viewers
- Milano - 20/05/2018 Head to head between Rai1 and Canale5.: Ballando con le stelle on Rai1 closed with 3.9m viewers (24.7%) while Amici on Canale5 achieved 4.1m viewers (23%). read more
- Milano - 18/05/2018 Vuoi Scommettere? on Canale5 debuts with over 4m viewers: The show is the Italian adaptation of ZDF format "Wanna Bet?", locally produced by Magnolia. read more
- Milano - 17/05/2018 Rai1 miniseries Il Confine closed with 3.7m viewers: Rai2 premiered new musical game show Scanzonissima with 1.2m viewers read more
- Milan - 17/05/2018 Focus is the new digital channel launched by Mediaset: The debut with 3 premieres: documentaries and culture is the leit-motive read more
- Rome - 16/05/2018 Rai 2 premieres Scanzonissima based on Sing if you can: The show is produced by Non Panic and distributed by Zodiak read more
- Milano - 16/05/2018 Grande Fratello 15 (Canale5) leader of pt slot with 4.2m viewers: Rai1 miniseries Il Confine achieved 3.6m viewers read more
- Zagreb - 18/05/2018 Top-quality football is the biggest blockbuster: TV rights for football competitions and matches seem to be made out of gold read more
- Roma - 18/05/2018 Convegno Anart: A chi conviene la concorrenza fra le collecting? : A Roma lunedì 4 giugno dalle ore 10.00 alle ore 17.30 al MAXXI | Museo nazionale delle arti del XXI secolo read more
- Zagreb - 18/04/2018 NEM 2018: Advertising has never been more challenging!: The panel will be held during the market in Dubrovnik on the 11-14 of June read more
- Cannes - 13/04/2018 Reed MIDEM: Cannes events welcomed 10,000 Delegates: There were some 1,480 exhibiting companies and 3,600 buyers, including 1,000-plus for VOD, the event organizer revealed. read more
- Cannes - 11/04/2018 The Treehouse Stories, Emmy® Kids Awards 2018 Winner: Produced by Dandeloo in association with Carbonara Production. read more
- Cannes - 11/04/2018 International Emmy Kids Award Winners Unveiled in Cannes: The sixth annual event were presented in partnership with Reed MIDEM read more