Michael Emerson joins cast of major event series THE NAME OF THE ROSE
Scripted Format | Munich | 07/02/2018
Two time Emmy Award® winning actor Michael Emerson (“Person of Interest,” “Lost”) has been cast in the major event series THE NAME OF THE ROSE, produced by TMG, 11 Marzo Film and Palomar in association with RAI Fiction, that is currently shooting in Rome (Italy). Emerson joins Emmy Award® Winner and Golden Globe® nominee John Turturro (“The Night Of”), Golden Globe® nominee Rupert Everett (“Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children”), Damian Hardung (“Red Band Society”), International Emmy Award® nominee Sebastian Koch (“Homeland”), James Cosmo (“Game of Thrones”), Richard Sammel (“Inglourious Basterds”), Greta Scarano (“In Treatment”), Tcheky Karyo (“The Patriot”, “The Core”, “The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc”) and many more in this 8-hour suspense-packed crime thriller set in the Middle Ages.
The Euro 26 million budget series is based on Umberto Eco’s highly acclaimed award-winning bestseller, which was first published in 1980 and sold more than 50 million copies worldwide.
The story follows Franciscan monk William of Baskerville (John Turturro) and his apprentice Adso (Damian Hardung) who witness a series of murders at a secluded monastery in the Alps. While the pair are investigating, they are hunted by Bernardo Gui (Rupert Everett), a merciless inquisitor who prosecutes those who criticize the Pope. Emerson will star as The Abbot, an ambiguous, greedy, oversensitive and irritable prince of the Abbey.
Emerson is currently recurring in WB’s “Arrow” as well as season 4 of the Golden Globe® Award-winning Amazon Original “Mozart in the Jungle” (premiering February 16th). He was named by Variety as “One of the greatest villains in television history” and held “Lost’s” inexplicable answers close for his five-season tenure on the hit series and won an Emmy® for Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series and was a Golden Globe® Nominee for his fan and critic favorite role as 'Benjamin Linus.' Emerson's first Emmy® win came from when he arrived on small screen in the form of serial-killer 'William Hinks' on ABC's "The Practice." Emerson is also known for his starring role on the CBS drama “Person of Interest,” which out delivered every scripted program on every other network during its run on the air.
The screenplay was written by Andrea Porporati (“Il dolce e l’amaro”, “La Piovra”), Emmy Award® winner Nigel Williams and by award-winning Italian filmmaker Giacomo Battiato (“L’infiltré”, “Karol: A Man Who Became Pope”), who also directs the series. The award winning John Conroy (“Luther”, “Penny Dreadful”) is director of photography. Costume Designer is Academy Award® nominee Maurizio Millenotti (“The Passion of the Christ”) and Production Designer is Emmy Award® nominee Francesco Frigeri (“The Legend of 1900”).
- Rome - 16/02/2018 Rai 1 comedy series Don Matteo 11 won the slot with 6.6 million viewers: The pubcaster keep being the leader of the prime time schedule read more
- Bologna - 15/02/2018 Unforgettable producer Bibi Ballandi passed away today : He was the king of entertainment, working hard with the most important artists read more
- Rome - 14/02/2018 Big debut for Rai 1 mini-series Fabrizio De Andrè - Principe Libero: The biopic focused on the real life of the celeb Italian singer read more
- Rome - 13/02/2018 Commissario Moltalbano is a super brand on Rai 1 with 11million viewers: The new episode scored an incredible result read more
- Rome - 12/02/2018 Sunday night dominated by Talk shows: The TV offers includes reportages, interviews read more
- Milano - 11/02/2018 Sanremo Music Festival 2018 closed on Rai1 with 12.125.000 viewers: The show is hosted by Claudio Baglioni, Michelle Hunziker and Pierfrancesco Favino. read more
- Paris - 31/01/2018 Massive response to "in developments call for entries" in Cannes: Two days of drama creative forum to be held in 10-11 April read more
- Miami - 21/01/2018 Natpe review by Sara Alessi @Worldescreen: The 2018 edition of NATPE in Miami was a success according to JP Bommel read more
- Miami - 16/01/2018 Si apre il #NATPE 2018 a Miami con una fitta agenda di appuntamenti: Oggi inizia ufficialmente il mercato con la presentazione da parte di JP Bommel read more
- Miami - 16/01/2018 All'Eden Hotel sono stati presentati i vincitori del Breakthrough : Un lunch evento per premiare I format piu' innovativi read more
- Paris - 11/01/2018 MIPTV announces its first keynote of 2018 - BuzzFeed’s Head of Development Matthew Henick: The leading global television and digital content market, MIPTV takes place in Cannes, France from April 9-12, 2018 read more
- Singapore - 05/12/2017 Asia TV Forum in Singapore closed with deals worth 289 million : The 18th event was a success with 5498 delegates from all over the world read more