Keshet International and De Mensen co-developing drama Diamonds
Scripted Format | Tel Aviv | 30/01/2018
Keshet International (KI) today announces that it is developing a drama co-production, Diamonds with leading Belgian producer, De Mensen. This Flemish, English and French speaking project focuses on an ultra-orthodox Jewish family who work in the Diamond industry.
Based on an idea from De Mensen’s Jan Theys, who will be producing the series, Diamonds will be written by Israeli writers Rotem Shamir (Fauda, Hostages, 300) and Yuval Yefet (Stardrive7, Last of You) who are working in association with Belgian writer Paul Piedfort (Aspe, The Hell of Tangiers, The Rodenburgs, Professor T).
Diamonds is largely set in Belgium and follows the story of the Wagner family. When their youngest son commits suicide his long-estranged brother, Noah, who has abandoned the orthodox life, returns from America shrouded in mysterious intentions.
He soon learns that his supposedly successful family is in fact on the brink of collapse. A devastatingly shady deal and has been made in a last-ditch fight for survival. When confronted with this Noah decides to take charge and fix things his own way. As a result he is forced to dig deep into the dark criminal underbelly of the diamond trade.
This co-production is in line with Kl’s on-going commitment to build creative cross-border partnerships designed to pair off-screen talent with the Company’s vast network of producers. A key aim is to exploit projects rich in international potential and simultaneously to bolster De Mensen’s ambitions to strengthen its international development as well as the vast appeal of its successful Flemish productions.
Atar Dekel, Head of Global Original Drama, Keshet International, said: “We are delighted to be working with our valued partners De Mensen to develop this series. We knew instantly what a brilliant idea it was when Jan Theys pitched it to us early last year. We all loved the story immediately. This co-development, brokered by Anke Stoll, our Director of Acquisitions and Co-Productions, shows the strength of KI’s ability to attach highly talented Israeli writers and directors to International projects. We want to give stories like Diamonds an organic and true co-production model.”
Jan Theys, Executive Producer for De Mensen, added, “There couldn’t be a more natural combination of talent to tell this unique story about the diamond trade. KI and De Mensen are both ambitious companies, driven by creativity in content and Diamonds will be reflective of that.”
Keshet and De Mensen have started talks with potential international co-producers and co-financiers.
De Mensen is a leading fully independent audiovisual producer in Belgium. Founded 25 years ago, De Mensen first established itself as a creative producer of non-scripted TV shows, before moving into scripted television five years ago. De Mensen has had recent international success with scripted series such as Salamander, Professor T, Beau Séjour, Chaussée d’Amour and Team Chocolat.
The co-production partnership builds on several recent projects between KI and De Mensen including the recent Keshet Studios remake of De Mensen’s crime drama Salamander (piloted in the US in May 2017) and the comedy satire series Generation B which was launched to the international market by KI at MIPCOM.
Diavoli: la nuova serie co-prodotta da Lux Vide e Sky Italia
International series hit “Babylon Berlin” goes into 3rd season
Netflix has signed first-look deal with Spanish broadcaster Atresmedia
Televisa takes two scripted formats from Keshet International
Keshet Productions UK bolsters development team with new hires
- Milano - 13/08/2018 Shooting starts for Italian remake of Liar: The original series was aired in Italy on NOVE read more
- Milan - 02/08/2018 Canale 5 Reality Temptation Island got 4 million viewers for the FINALE!: The last episode achieved a very good audience share of 25.5% read more
- Milan - 31/07/2018 Canale 5 reality show Temptation Island beats any rivals in primetime: Another success for the dating show most popular of the Italian Summer read more
- Milano - 17/07/2018 Canale5 docu-reality Temptation Island won pt slot with 3.8m viewers: On Rai1 drama series Tutto può succedere 3 recorded 2.9m viewers read more
- Milano - 17/07/2018 Big debut for The Good Doctor on Rai1 - 5.2m viewers: The series is based on korean series Good Doctor broadcasted by KBS2 in 2013 read more
- Milano - 10/07/2018 Canale5 premiered Temptation Island 5 and won pt slot with 3.7m viewers: Rai1 drama series Tutto può succedere 3 recorded 3.1m viewers read more
- Singapore - 18/07/2018 Saff Project Market: Where film concepts go to become reality: Call for project submission opens 2 July 2018 read more
- Budapest - 27/06/2018 NATPE Budapest: and the winner is...In the Dark: Pitch & Play was held today at the Intercontinental in Budapest read more
- Zagreb - 21/06/2018 Nem 2018 broke previous records with the hightest attendance so fare: The event has been a success with new business opportunities read more
- Los Angeles - 21/06/2018 Manuela Caputi is one of the judge at the Pitch & Play live event in Budapest: CEETV and NATPE are proud to announce the three finalists for the third edition read more
- Montecarlo - 20/06/2018 Announced the winner of the 58th festival de Television de Monte-Carlo: The big event held in Jund 15-19 in the South of France read more
- Giffoni - 20/06/2018 Giffoni Experience si accorda con Topolino per la 48 edizione del festival: Ruolo culturale con l'obiettivo di raccontare la manifestazione read more