Keshet International and De Mensen co-developing drama Diamonds
Scripted Format | Tel Aviv | 30/01/2018
Keshet International (KI) today announces that it is developing a drama co-production, Diamonds with leading Belgian producer, De Mensen. This Flemish, English and French speaking project focuses on an ultra-orthodox Jewish family who work in the Diamond industry.
Based on an idea from De Mensen’s Jan Theys, who will be producing the series, Diamonds will be written by Israeli writers Rotem Shamir (Fauda, Hostages, 300) and Yuval Yefet (Stardrive7, Last of You) who are working in association with Belgian writer Paul Piedfort (Aspe, The Hell of Tangiers, The Rodenburgs, Professor T).
Diamonds is largely set in Belgium and follows the story of the Wagner family. When their youngest son commits suicide his long-estranged brother, Noah, who has abandoned the orthodox life, returns from America shrouded in mysterious intentions.
He soon learns that his supposedly successful family is in fact on the brink of collapse. A devastatingly shady deal and has been made in a last-ditch fight for survival. When confronted with this Noah decides to take charge and fix things his own way. As a result he is forced to dig deep into the dark criminal underbelly of the diamond trade.
This co-production is in line with Kl’s on-going commitment to build creative cross-border partnerships designed to pair off-screen talent with the Company’s vast network of producers. A key aim is to exploit projects rich in international potential and simultaneously to bolster De Mensen’s ambitions to strengthen its international development as well as the vast appeal of its successful Flemish productions.
Atar Dekel, Head of Global Original Drama, Keshet International, said: “We are delighted to be working with our valued partners De Mensen to develop this series. We knew instantly what a brilliant idea it was when Jan Theys pitched it to us early last year. We all loved the story immediately. This co-development, brokered by Anke Stoll, our Director of Acquisitions and Co-Productions, shows the strength of KI’s ability to attach highly talented Israeli writers and directors to International projects. We want to give stories like Diamonds an organic and true co-production model.”
Jan Theys, Executive Producer for De Mensen, added, “There couldn’t be a more natural combination of talent to tell this unique story about the diamond trade. KI and De Mensen are both ambitious companies, driven by creativity in content and Diamonds will be reflective of that.”
Keshet and De Mensen have started talks with potential international co-producers and co-financiers.
De Mensen is a leading fully independent audiovisual producer in Belgium. Founded 25 years ago, De Mensen first established itself as a creative producer of non-scripted TV shows, before moving into scripted television five years ago. De Mensen has had recent international success with scripted series such as Salamander, Professor T, Beau Séjour, Chaussée d’Amour and Team Chocolat.
The co-production partnership builds on several recent projects between KI and De Mensen including the recent Keshet Studios remake of De Mensen’s crime drama Salamander (piloted in the US in May 2017) and the comedy satire series Generation B which was launched to the international market by KI at MIPCOM.
- Rome - 16/02/2018 Rai 1 comedy series Don Matteo 11 won the slot with 6.6 million viewers: The pubcaster keep being the leader of the prime time schedule read more
- Bologna - 15/02/2018 Unforgettable producer Bibi Ballandi passed away today : He was the king of entertainment, working hard with the most important artists read more
- Rome - 14/02/2018 Big debut for Rai 1 mini-series Fabrizio De Andrè - Principe Libero: The biopic focused on the real life of the celeb Italian singer read more
- Rome - 13/02/2018 Commissario Moltalbano is a super brand on Rai 1 with 11million viewers: The new episode scored an incredible result read more
- Rome - 12/02/2018 Sunday night dominated by Talk shows: The TV offers includes reportages, interviews read more
- Milano - 11/02/2018 Sanremo Music Festival 2018 closed on Rai1 with 12.125.000 viewers: The show is hosted by Claudio Baglioni, Michelle Hunziker and Pierfrancesco Favino. read more
- Paris - 31/01/2018 Massive response to "in developments call for entries" in Cannes: Two days of drama creative forum to be held in 10-11 April read more
- Miami - 21/01/2018 Natpe review by Sara Alessi @Worldescreen: The 2018 edition of NATPE in Miami was a success according to JP Bommel read more
- Miami - 16/01/2018 Si apre il #NATPE 2018 a Miami con una fitta agenda di appuntamenti: Oggi inizia ufficialmente il mercato con la presentazione da parte di JP Bommel read more
- Miami - 16/01/2018 All'Eden Hotel sono stati presentati i vincitori del Breakthrough : Un lunch evento per premiare I format piu' innovativi read more
- Paris - 11/01/2018 MIPTV announces its first keynote of 2018 - BuzzFeed’s Head of Development Matthew Henick: The leading global television and digital content market, MIPTV takes place in Cannes, France from April 9-12, 2018 read more
- Singapore - 05/12/2017 Asia TV Forum in Singapore closed with deals worth 289 million : The 18th event was a success with 5498 delegates from all over the world read more