Keshet International and De Mensen co-developing drama Diamonds
Scripted Format | Tel Aviv | 30/01/2018
Keshet International (KI) today announces that it is developing a drama co-production, Diamonds with leading Belgian producer, De Mensen. This Flemish, English and French speaking project focuses on an ultra-orthodox Jewish family who work in the Diamond industry.
Based on an idea from De Mensen’s Jan Theys, who will be producing the series, Diamonds will be written by Israeli writers Rotem Shamir (Fauda, Hostages, 300) and Yuval Yefet (Stardrive7, Last of You) who are working in association with Belgian writer Paul Piedfort (Aspe, The Hell of Tangiers, The Rodenburgs, Professor T).
Diamonds is largely set in Belgium and follows the story of the Wagner family. When their youngest son commits suicide his long-estranged brother, Noah, who has abandoned the orthodox life, returns from America shrouded in mysterious intentions.
He soon learns that his supposedly successful family is in fact on the brink of collapse. A devastatingly shady deal and has been made in a last-ditch fight for survival. When confronted with this Noah decides to take charge and fix things his own way. As a result he is forced to dig deep into the dark criminal underbelly of the diamond trade.
This co-production is in line with Kl’s on-going commitment to build creative cross-border partnerships designed to pair off-screen talent with the Company’s vast network of producers. A key aim is to exploit projects rich in international potential and simultaneously to bolster De Mensen’s ambitions to strengthen its international development as well as the vast appeal of its successful Flemish productions.
Atar Dekel, Head of Global Original Drama, Keshet International, said: “We are delighted to be working with our valued partners De Mensen to develop this series. We knew instantly what a brilliant idea it was when Jan Theys pitched it to us early last year. We all loved the story immediately. This co-development, brokered by Anke Stoll, our Director of Acquisitions and Co-Productions, shows the strength of KI’s ability to attach highly talented Israeli writers and directors to International projects. We want to give stories like Diamonds an organic and true co-production model.”
Jan Theys, Executive Producer for De Mensen, added, “There couldn’t be a more natural combination of talent to tell this unique story about the diamond trade. KI and De Mensen are both ambitious companies, driven by creativity in content and Diamonds will be reflective of that.”
Keshet and De Mensen have started talks with potential international co-producers and co-financiers.
De Mensen is a leading fully independent audiovisual producer in Belgium. Founded 25 years ago, De Mensen first established itself as a creative producer of non-scripted TV shows, before moving into scripted television five years ago. De Mensen has had recent international success with scripted series such as Salamander, Professor T, Beau Séjour, Chaussée d’Amour and Team Chocolat.
The co-production partnership builds on several recent projects between KI and De Mensen including the recent Keshet Studios remake of De Mensen’s crime drama Salamander (piloted in the US in May 2017) and the comedy satire series Generation B which was launched to the international market by KI at MIPCOM.
When Heroes Fly new drama series launched by Keshet Int is a hit
Morandi gira la seconda stagione dell'Isola di Pietro 2
Turkish drama Mrs Fazilet and her daugthers continue to attract viewers in Chile
Inter Medya announces new deals for the drama series THE PIT (ÇUKUR)
New drama sereies Il Capitano Maria won the slot with 7 million viewers
- Milano - 20/05/2018 Head to head between Rai1 and Canale5.: Ballando con le stelle on Rai1 closed with 3.9m viewers (24.7%) while Amici on Canale5 achieved 4.1m viewers (23%). read more
- Milano - 18/05/2018 Vuoi Scommettere? on Canale5 debuts with over 4m viewers: The show is the Italian adaptation of ZDF format "Wanna Bet?", locally produced by Magnolia. read more
- Milano - 17/05/2018 Rai1 miniseries Il Confine closed with 3.7m viewers: Rai2 premiered new musical game show Scanzonissima with 1.2m viewers read more
- Milan - 17/05/2018 Focus is the new digital channel launched by Mediaset: The debut with 3 premieres: documentaries and culture is the leit-motive read more
- Rome - 16/05/2018 Rai 2 premieres Scanzonissima based on Sing if you can: The show is produced by Non Panic and distributed by Zodiak read more
- Milano - 16/05/2018 Grande Fratello 15 (Canale5) leader of pt slot with 4.2m viewers: Rai1 miniseries Il Confine achieved 3.6m viewers read more
- Zagreb - 18/05/2018 Top-quality football is the biggest blockbuster: TV rights for football competitions and matches seem to be made out of gold read more
- Roma - 18/05/2018 Convegno Anart: A chi conviene la concorrenza fra le collecting? : A Roma lunedì 4 giugno dalle ore 10.00 alle ore 17.30 al MAXXI | Museo nazionale delle arti del XXI secolo read more
- Zagreb - 18/04/2018 NEM 2018: Advertising has never been more challenging!: The panel will be held during the market in Dubrovnik on the 11-14 of June read more
- Cannes - 13/04/2018 Reed MIDEM: Cannes events welcomed 10,000 Delegates: There were some 1,480 exhibiting companies and 3,600 buyers, including 1,000-plus for VOD, the event organizer revealed. read more
- Cannes - 11/04/2018 The Treehouse Stories, Emmy® Kids Awards 2018 Winner: Produced by Dandeloo in association with Carbonara Production. read more
- Cannes - 11/04/2018 International Emmy Kids Award Winners Unveiled in Cannes: The sixth annual event were presented in partnership with Reed MIDEM read more