2017 International Emmy Awards nominees for news & current affair revealed
Tv Events | New York | 07/08/2017
The International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences today announced the nominees for the 2017 News & Current Affairs categories. Winners will be announced in New York on October 5, at Jazz at Lincoln Center. The International Emmy winners will be recognized alongside their American news and documentary peers.
The 8 Nominees span 6 countries on 3 continents. The countries are: Brazil, Israel, Malaysia, the Philippines, Sweden and the United Kingdom.
Israeli network i24NEWS has garnered its first ever Emmy nomination in the News category for its French language coverage of the Republican National Convention. Swedish Public Broadcaster, SVT scored its first nomination in the Current Affairs category for an investigation into the Panama Papers. Additionally, Brazil’s TV Globo is nominated in both categories.
"In today's political climate, a free, fearless and independent media establishment is more essential than ever to the democratic process.” said Bruce L. Paisner, President & CEO of the International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences. “We salute the 2017 nominees for raising much needed awareness of critical world issues and events with their outstanding broadcast journalism.”
The full list of nominees follows.
2017 Nominees – News & Current Affairs
Inside Aleppo - Battle for Aleppo
Channel 4 News / ITN
The battle for Aleppo was the most brutal in the five-year Syrian war. A C4 News journalist & filmmaker was inside the besieged city with unrivaled access to the horror, chaos, and civilian tragedy unfolding.
Jornal Nacional - The Ryan Lochte Scandal
Globo Comunicação e Participações S.A.
A dream team of swimmers were robbed at gunpoint during the Olympics. The tale fit Rio’s violent reputation and gained worldwide attention. Jornal Nacional’s investigative journalists exposed the lie concocted by Ryan Lochte and discovered the real story. Lochte later confessed and apologized in an exclusive interview in Globo’s New York studios.
Le Journal - Paris/Jaffa - Republican National Convention, Cleveland
Le Journal covers Donald Trump's investiture at the Republican National Convention in Cleveland with special correspondent David Benaym behind the scenes of the event.
TV Patrol - Super Typhoon Lawin's Trail of Damage
TV Patrol: Typhoon Lawin’s Trail of Destruction Super Typhoon Lawin (International Name: Haima) battered northern Philippines on October 20, 2016. It made landfall in Penablanca, Cagayan before midnight, and wreaked havoc in the provinces of Cagayan, Isabela, La Union, Ilocos Sur, and nearby areas.
101 East - Rodrigo Duterte: A President's Report Card
Al Jazeera English
A ruthless crackdown on drugs, allegations of thousands of extrajudicial killings, a war of words with world leaders - Philippines’ President Rodrigo Duterte is one of the most controversial leaders of our times. 101 East gets exclusive access to the man behind the headlines.
Exposure: Saudi Arabia Uncovered
Hardcash Productions / ITV / WGBH/Frontline
This film reveals the hidden reality inside one of the world’s most secretive and strict Islamic regimes. Saudi Arabia is a key ally of the West, but with unprecedented access to an underground network of young activists, this film uncovers a society where opposition is beginning to take shape.
Globo Repórter - Art as Passport
Globo Comunicação e Participações S.A.
In a country with so much inequality, the opportunity to learn art can transform lives. Young people in social projects in the favelas find new prospects for their families. Some have already started promising careers abroad, such as ballerina Ingrid Silva and trombonist Aline Alcantara.
Uppdrag granskning: Panamadokumenten
(Mission Investigate: The Panama Papers)
SVT / ICIJ / Syddeutsche Zeitung / Reykjavik Media / Yle / DR / NDR / RUV / Première Lignes France
The Panama Papers has become a milestone in the international fight against tax evasion and money-laundering. 400 journalists worked with the leak, including Sven Bergman and Joachim Dyfvermark. Their interview with the Icelandic Prime Minister about his offshore business was broadcast worldwide.
About the International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences
The International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences is a membership based organization comprised of leading media and entertainment figures from over 60 countries and 500 companies from all sectors of television including internet, mobile and technology. The Academy's yearly schedule of events includes the prestigious International Emmy® Awards held in New York, The International Emmy® Kids Awards at MIPTV and a series of industry events such as Academy Day, The International Emmy® World Television Festival and Panels on substantive industry topics. The International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences recognizes excellence in television produced outside of the United States, as well as US Primetime programs produced in languages other than English, with the prestigious Emmy® Award. Currently celebrating programming across varied areas including: Arts Programming, Current Affairs, Comedy, Documentary, Drama Series, News, Non-Scripted Entertainment, Short-Form Series; Telenovela, and TV Movie/Mini-Series, it also recognizes excellence in Performances, Kids programming and Digital. For more information, go to www.iemmys.tv
- Milano - 17/06/2018 Italia1 won pt slot with World Cup's match Croazia-Nigeria - 4m viewers: NOVE musical event Radio Italia Live - Il Concerto recorded 490.000 viewers read more
- Milano - 16/06/2018 Over 7m viewers for Canale5 with World Cup's match Spagna-Portogallo: Rai1 variety show Ora o Mai Più involved 3.7m viewers read more
- Milano - 15/06/2018 Game show Vuoi Scommettere? on Canale5 closed with 3.2m viewers: Rai1 rerun drama series Don Matteo recorded 2.9m viewers read more
- Milano - 14/06/2018 Rai1 movie Un matrimonio da favola won pt slot with almost 3m viewers: Rai2 premiered new factual Il Supplente that recorded 1.6m viewers read more
- Milano - 13/06/2018 Rai1 musical event WMA 2018 won pt slot with 3.7m viewers: The show is produced by F&P Group and Ballandi Multimedia read more
- Milano - 12/06/2018 Amici 17 on Canale5 closed with 4.8m viewers: The winner of the edition is the singer Irama. read more
- Dubrovnik - 06/06/2018 Agenda of the key media event in CEE region – NEM 2018: NEM's sixth edition, taking place in Dubrovnik from June 11 to 14 read more
- Los Angeles - 25/05/2018 NATPE Budapest Int'l Finds Increase In Buyers Attendance: JP Bommel president and ceo of Natpe commentes the positive trend read more
- Zagreb - 18/05/2018 Top-quality football is the biggest blockbuster: TV rights for football competitions and matches seem to be made out of gold read more
- Roma - 18/05/2018 Convegno Anart: A chi conviene la concorrenza fra le collecting? : A Roma lunedì 4 giugno dalle ore 10.00 alle ore 17.30 al MAXXI | Museo nazionale delle arti del XXI secolo read more
- Zagreb - 18/04/2018 NEM 2018: Advertising has never been more challenging!: The panel will be held during the market in Dubrovnik on the 11-14 of June read more
- Cannes - 13/04/2018 Reed MIDEM: Cannes events welcomed 10,000 Delegates: There were some 1,480 exhibiting companies and 3,600 buyers, including 1,000-plus for VOD, the event organizer revealed. read more