2017 International Emmy Awards nominees for news & current affair revealed
Tv Events | New York | 07/08/2017
The International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences today announced the nominees for the 2017 News & Current Affairs categories. Winners will be announced in New York on October 5, at Jazz at Lincoln Center. The International Emmy winners will be recognized alongside their American news and documentary peers.
The 8 Nominees span 6 countries on 3 continents. The countries are: Brazil, Israel, Malaysia, the Philippines, Sweden and the United Kingdom.
Israeli network i24NEWS has garnered its first ever Emmy nomination in the News category for its French language coverage of the Republican National Convention. Swedish Public Broadcaster, SVT scored its first nomination in the Current Affairs category for an investigation into the Panama Papers. Additionally, Brazil’s TV Globo is nominated in both categories.
"In today's political climate, a free, fearless and independent media establishment is more essential than ever to the democratic process.” said Bruce L. Paisner, President & CEO of the International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences. “We salute the 2017 nominees for raising much needed awareness of critical world issues and events with their outstanding broadcast journalism.”
The full list of nominees follows.
2017 Nominees – News & Current Affairs
Inside Aleppo - Battle for Aleppo
Channel 4 News / ITN
The battle for Aleppo was the most brutal in the five-year Syrian war. A C4 News journalist & filmmaker was inside the besieged city with unrivaled access to the horror, chaos, and civilian tragedy unfolding.
Jornal Nacional - The Ryan Lochte Scandal
Globo Comunicação e Participações S.A.
A dream team of swimmers were robbed at gunpoint during the Olympics. The tale fit Rio’s violent reputation and gained worldwide attention. Jornal Nacional’s investigative journalists exposed the lie concocted by Ryan Lochte and discovered the real story. Lochte later confessed and apologized in an exclusive interview in Globo’s New York studios.
Le Journal - Paris/Jaffa - Republican National Convention, Cleveland
Le Journal covers Donald Trump's investiture at the Republican National Convention in Cleveland with special correspondent David Benaym behind the scenes of the event.
TV Patrol - Super Typhoon Lawin's Trail of Damage
TV Patrol: Typhoon Lawin’s Trail of Destruction Super Typhoon Lawin (International Name: Haima) battered northern Philippines on October 20, 2016. It made landfall in Penablanca, Cagayan before midnight, and wreaked havoc in the provinces of Cagayan, Isabela, La Union, Ilocos Sur, and nearby areas.
101 East - Rodrigo Duterte: A President's Report Card
Al Jazeera English
A ruthless crackdown on drugs, allegations of thousands of extrajudicial killings, a war of words with world leaders - Philippines’ President Rodrigo Duterte is one of the most controversial leaders of our times. 101 East gets exclusive access to the man behind the headlines.
Exposure: Saudi Arabia Uncovered
Hardcash Productions / ITV / WGBH/Frontline
This film reveals the hidden reality inside one of the world’s most secretive and strict Islamic regimes. Saudi Arabia is a key ally of the West, but with unprecedented access to an underground network of young activists, this film uncovers a society where opposition is beginning to take shape.
Globo Repórter - Art as Passport
Globo Comunicação e Participações S.A.
In a country with so much inequality, the opportunity to learn art can transform lives. Young people in social projects in the favelas find new prospects for their families. Some have already started promising careers abroad, such as ballerina Ingrid Silva and trombonist Aline Alcantara.
Uppdrag granskning: Panamadokumenten
(Mission Investigate: The Panama Papers)
SVT / ICIJ / Syddeutsche Zeitung / Reykjavik Media / Yle / DR / NDR / RUV / Première Lignes France
The Panama Papers has become a milestone in the international fight against tax evasion and money-laundering. 400 journalists worked with the leak, including Sven Bergman and Joachim Dyfvermark. Their interview with the Icelandic Prime Minister about his offshore business was broadcast worldwide.
About the International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences
The International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences is a membership based organization comprised of leading media and entertainment figures from over 60 countries and 500 companies from all sectors of television including internet, mobile and technology. The Academy's yearly schedule of events includes the prestigious International Emmy® Awards held in New York, The International Emmy® Kids Awards at MIPTV and a series of industry events such as Academy Day, The International Emmy® World Television Festival and Panels on substantive industry topics. The International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences recognizes excellence in television produced outside of the United States, as well as US Primetime programs produced in languages other than English, with the prestigious Emmy® Award. Currently celebrating programming across varied areas including: Arts Programming, Current Affairs, Comedy, Documentary, Drama Series, News, Non-Scripted Entertainment, Short-Form Series; Telenovela, and TV Movie/Mini-Series, it also recognizes excellence in Performances, Kids programming and Digital. For more information, go to www.iemmys.tv
Massive response to "in developments call for entries" in Cannes
Natpe review by Sara Alessi @Worldescreen
All'Eden Hotel sono stati presentati i vincitori del Breakthrough
Si apre il #NATPE 2018 a Miami con una fitta agenda di appuntamenti
MIPTV announces its first keynote of 2018 - BuzzFeed’s Head of Development Matthew Henick
- Rome - 16/02/2018 Rai 1 comedy series Don Matteo 11 won the slot with 6.6 million viewers: The pubcaster keep being the leader of the prime time schedule read more
- Bologna - 15/02/2018 Unforgettable producer Bibi Ballandi passed away today : He was the king of entertainment, working hard with the most important artists read more
- Rome - 14/02/2018 Big debut for Rai 1 mini-series Fabrizio De Andrè - Principe Libero: The biopic focused on the real life of the celeb Italian singer read more
- Rome - 13/02/2018 Commissario Moltalbano is a super brand on Rai 1 with 11million viewers: The new episode scored an incredible result read more
- Rome - 12/02/2018 Sunday night dominated by Talk shows: The TV offers includes reportages, interviews read more
- Milano - 11/02/2018 Sanremo Music Festival 2018 closed on Rai1 with 12.125.000 viewers: The show is hosted by Claudio Baglioni, Michelle Hunziker and Pierfrancesco Favino. read more
- Paris - 31/01/2018 Massive response to "in developments call for entries" in Cannes: Two days of drama creative forum to be held in 10-11 April read more
- Miami - 21/01/2018 Natpe review by Sara Alessi @Worldescreen: The 2018 edition of NATPE in Miami was a success according to JP Bommel read more
- Miami - 16/01/2018 Si apre il #NATPE 2018 a Miami con una fitta agenda di appuntamenti: Oggi inizia ufficialmente il mercato con la presentazione da parte di JP Bommel read more
- Miami - 16/01/2018 All'Eden Hotel sono stati presentati i vincitori del Breakthrough : Un lunch evento per premiare I format piu' innovativi read more
- Paris - 11/01/2018 MIPTV announces its first keynote of 2018 - BuzzFeed’s Head of Development Matthew Henick: The leading global television and digital content market, MIPTV takes place in Cannes, France from April 9-12, 2018 read more
- Singapore - 05/12/2017 Asia TV Forum in Singapore closed with deals worth 289 million : The 18th event was a success with 5498 delegates from all over the world read more