Important panels that talked about burning topics
Tv Events | Dubrovnik | 14/06/2017
First panel of the day was dedicated to FTAs which are existing strongly on very dynamic and channel full market. Pete Smith, Managing Director of Antenna International simply put it – free is powerful! Matthias Settele, General Director of Slovakian TV Markiza, explained:
„It is not easy to make content for broad audience, but if you do your homework and tell the stories that interest them, everything can be great. The key ingredient is to know your audience.“
Petr Dvorak, Director General of Czech Television, added that lucky circumstance is that public broadcasters have more independence than the other ones, but that also brings a lot of problems when coming to the topic of expenses. Kazimir Bačić, General Director of Croatian Radiotelevision (HRT) said:
„Two thirds of viewers are receiving signal from terrestrial network, but we don't want to stop there. We want to be on all the platforms. Our mission is to be the emissary of all channels, on everything.“
The conclusion was that Free To Air channels are not threatened by the newcomers in terms of existence, but definitely have a harder job, since they constantly have to follow new trends and audience reactions.
The panel that certainly raised most interest was that dealing with eSports. Michiel Bakker, CEO of Ginx TV, the biggest international eSports channel, suggested that it is not the next big thing since it already is big thing in the world. More than 400 million people are watching live streams of gamers competing in some of the most popular video games, such as Dota, LoL or some of FPS'. Johannes Neuschmid Founder, CVO & COO of eSport Verband Deutschland, explained eSports area is one of the fastest growing today, not only among the players, but with viewers. Mihajlo Jovanović-Džaril, CEO of Fortuna Esports, pointed out that there are a lot of stereotypes surrounding the players in eSports industry, but almost all players are young, educated people who like to play video games and follow trends. Marcus Meyer, Head of Business & Advertising Innovations, told the audience:
„There is the person who trains, who has meetings with nutritionists, who is earning millions, who is training. When you say that, you are describing a person who does sport for living. eSports gamers are doing exactly the same as some famous sportspersons!“
Tom Henderson, Co-Founder and Director of Digital Sports Mgmt, took time to talk more about his experience with Electronic Arts (EA) collaboration and expressed wish to put more basketball within eSports.
Certainly the most important panel for CEE region was the one that raised the question about why operators in some countries cannot own their own TV channels and why regulatory bodies are controlling some operators more vigorously than others.
Mario Weber, Director at HAKOM, Croatian regulatory agency, stated that telecom operators in Croatia cannot do anything with media production, but they always find their way around the regulations. Weber said that he doesn't see the problem in owning TV channel, but if that happens, there should be exclusive rights for operators. He pointed out that you can have your own TV channel per se, but if somebody else is doing it for you. Slovenian example was carried out by Simon Slonjšak, Head of Smart Living from Telekom Slovenija, who said that in Slovenia, regulators are focusing on operators, but, unlike Croatian operators, Slovenian ones can own their channels and it has proven to be a good practice. Nikola Francetić, Head of Group Content, Media and Broadcasting from Telekom Austria Group, said:
„To produce a good channel, it takes a lot of energy and time. It is not easy, but there are a lot of models to look from! Producing the content that serves the channel and operators' business plan is connected to the mission. I strongly believe that situation in Croatia will change!“
Different experience came from Laima Zivatkauskaite, Vice President of INIT, family-owned cable operator from Lithuania. They own three channels and are more than 20 years old. Since there are 20 operators in Lithuania, it is a very competitive market, but they learn from the mistakes and they know which content interest their public.
Nataša Rapaić, Member of the Management Board and Chief Operating Officer for Residential Customers for Hrvatski Telekom, expressed the wish for owning operator-based channels and said that Croatia should go in the right direction and join the modern market.
- Milano - 20/05/2018 Head to head between Rai1 and Canale5.: Ballando con le stelle on Rai1 closed with 3.9m viewers (24.7%) while Amici on Canale5 achieved 4.1m viewers (23%). read more
- Milano - 18/05/2018 Vuoi Scommettere? on Canale5 debuts with over 4m viewers: The show is the Italian adaptation of ZDF format "Wanna Bet?", locally produced by Magnolia. read more
- Milano - 17/05/2018 Rai1 miniseries Il Confine closed with 3.7m viewers: Rai2 premiered new musical game show Scanzonissima with 1.2m viewers read more
- Milan - 17/05/2018 Focus is the new digital channel launched by Mediaset: The debut with 3 premieres: documentaries and culture is the leit-motive read more
- Rome - 16/05/2018 Rai 2 premieres Scanzonissima based on Sing if you can: The show is produced by Non Panic and distributed by Zodiak read more
- Milano - 16/05/2018 Grande Fratello 15 (Canale5) leader of pt slot with 4.2m viewers: Rai1 miniseries Il Confine achieved 3.6m viewers read more
- Zagreb - 18/05/2018 Top-quality football is the biggest blockbuster: TV rights for football competitions and matches seem to be made out of gold read more
- Roma - 18/05/2018 Convegno Anart: A chi conviene la concorrenza fra le collecting? : A Roma lunedě 4 giugno dalle ore 10.00 alle ore 17.30 al MAXXI | Museo nazionale delle arti del XXI secolo read more
- Zagreb - 18/04/2018 NEM 2018: Advertising has never been more challenging!: The panel will be held during the market in Dubrovnik on the 11-14 of June read more
- Cannes - 13/04/2018 Reed MIDEM: Cannes events welcomed 10,000 Delegates: There were some 1,480 exhibiting companies and 3,600 buyers, including 1,000-plus for VOD, the event organizer revealed. read more
- Cannes - 11/04/2018 The Treehouse Stories, Emmy® Kids Awards 2018 Winner: Produced by Dandeloo in association with Carbonara Production. read more
- Cannes - 11/04/2018 International Emmy Kids Award Winners Unveiled in Cannes: The sixth annual event were presented in partnership with Reed MIDEM read more