Nem 2017: media events and focus on the future of FTA channels
Tv Events | Dubrovik | 23/02/2017
For the fifth consecutive year, Dubrovnik will not be remembered only as the best tourist destination or filming site, but, for four days, it will become the center of the finest debates on the future and the development of television. New Europe Market is a media event which hosts the leading experts in television and media, and the panel discussion on FTA channels’ ability to survive among the increasingly large competition will feature one of the most distinguished panelists of this year’s NEM: Antenna International’s managing director Pete Smith.
Survival or equal participation
When the future of television was discussed in the past, the prognoses for linear television were not optimistic. In this new era of television in which we have not only Pay-TV channels, but also subscription services such as Netflix, Pickbox and Hulu, FTA channels are still not as forgotten as we thought they would be. In spite of the fact that the technological barriers between the old and the new players in the TV industry are decreasing year in, year out, the question remains of whether the technological novelties in the market could help the traditional linear TV channels to retain their viewership. Although it is faced with a number of challenges, traditional television has been strengthened by new technologies, but does it need to become available on demand in order to retain its viewership? To which degree do FTA channels need to adapt to the market to stay relevant? Could content perhaps be the deciding factor that transcends platforms and keeps the viewers interested?
Pete Smith as one of the most prominent panelists
One of the most prominent attendees of NEM 2017 will be Pete Smith, the former president of NBC Universal International. His legacy at the NBC includes securing a growth of 44% in a three-year period, an increase in the number of channels from 12 to 70 and a Pay-TV channel worth $500 million, as well as a growth from $5 to $100 million in a three-year period. Pete is currently the director of Antenna International, where he manages their European network. The organization focuses on the fast development of media in Eastern Europe and on investments in programming and digital companies.
Pete Smith was an NEM panelist in previous years and he sings the praises of this conference, which hosts both regional and international experts.
The media evolve day after day, new players in the market are looking to get their slice of the cake, while the old ones are trying to adapt to the novelties in the market and stay relevant. You can learn about the changes in the media world at this year’s New Europe Market, which will take place in Dubrovnik on the 12th – 15th June. This year’s edition of the conference will be the fifth consecutive one and the speakers in the panel discussions will, as every year, include renowned experts in the media world with decades of practical experience in this sector.
In addition to the panels and the market, every NEM attendee can participate in informal gatherings, exchange ideas and make business deals. If you have even an ounce of doubt about this, remember that, at NEM 2016, the producers of the Croatian show The Paper sold the distribution rights to the Israeli production company Keshet. NEM was, indeed, the beginning of a beautiful and successful story!
Nem announces dates for 2018 and offers free badges for early bird
2017 International Emmy Awards nominees for news & current affair revealed
Simona Ercolani riceve il premio al Giffoni per I ragazzi del Bambino Gesù
Presentata la 3a edizione di MIA-Mercato Internazionale Audiovisivo
Ecco l'elenco completo del board e del comitato selezione di MIA
- Milano - 18/09/2017 Rai1 rerun drama series Un passo dal cielo 3 won pt slot with 3m viewers: Canale movie Benvenuti al Nord recorded 2.5m viewers read more
- Milano - 17/09/2017 Good debut for Rai1 one woman show 1, 2, 3... Fiorella! that won pt slot with 3.9m: Canale5 entertainment show Ciao Darwin 7 recorded 2.1m viewers read more
- Milano - 16/09/2017 Rai1 musical event Andrea Bocelli Show won pt slot with 3.9m viewers: RealTime cooking talent show Bake Off Italia recorded 945.000 viewers read more
- Milano - 15/09/2017 Rai1 premiered drama series Provaci ancora prof 7! and won pt slot with 4.2m viewers: SkyUno premiered talent show X-Factor with good results - over 1m viewers read more
- Rome - 15/09/2017 Raicom launches season 2017/2018 of All Opera: The offer includes the best Italian season read more
- Milano - 14/09/2017 Rai1 movie Torno indietro e cambio vita won pt slot with 3.3m viewers: Rai2 premiered new edition of adventure game Pechino Express that recorded 1.8m viewers read more
- Zagreb - 07/09/2017 Nem announces dates for 2018 and offers free badges for early bird: The Sixth edition will be held in Dubrovnik, Croatia from June 11-14 read more
- New York - 07/08/2017 2017 International Emmy Awards nominees for news & current affair revealed: First Ever Emmy Nomination for Israel’s i24NEWS and First Current Affairs Nomination for Sweden’s SVT read more
- Roma - 24/07/2017 Simona Ercolani riceve il premio al Giffoni per I ragazzi del Bambino Gesù: La serie ritornerà nel 2018 insieme alla pubblicazione del libro read more
- Roma - 19/07/2017 Ecco l'elenco completo del board e del comitato selezione di MIA: Ad essi il compito di scegliere i progetti che saranno presentati al'evento read more
- Roma - 18/07/2017 Presentata la 3a edizione di MIA-Mercato Internazionale Audiovisivo: La manifestazione si svolgerà a Roma dal 19 al 23 ottobre read more
- Budapest - 24/06/2017 Chiusa con successo l'edizione 2017 di Natpe Budapest: Ne abbiamo parlato con il presidente e CEO JP Bommel read more