Nem 2017: media events and focus on the future of FTA channels
Tv Events | Dubrovik | 23/02/2017
For the fifth consecutive year, Dubrovnik will not be remembered only as the best tourist destination or filming site, but, for four days, it will become the center of the finest debates on the future and the development of television. New Europe Market is a media event which hosts the leading experts in television and media, and the panel discussion on FTA channels’ ability to survive among the increasingly large competition will feature one of the most distinguished panelists of this year’s NEM: Antenna International’s managing director Pete Smith.
Survival or equal participation
When the future of television was discussed in the past, the prognoses for linear television were not optimistic. In this new era of television in which we have not only Pay-TV channels, but also subscription services such as Netflix, Pickbox and Hulu, FTA channels are still not as forgotten as we thought they would be. In spite of the fact that the technological barriers between the old and the new players in the TV industry are decreasing year in, year out, the question remains of whether the technological novelties in the market could help the traditional linear TV channels to retain their viewership. Although it is faced with a number of challenges, traditional television has been strengthened by new technologies, but does it need to become available on demand in order to retain its viewership? To which degree do FTA channels need to adapt to the market to stay relevant? Could content perhaps be the deciding factor that transcends platforms and keeps the viewers interested?
Pete Smith as one of the most prominent panelists
One of the most prominent attendees of NEM 2017 will be Pete Smith, the former president of NBC Universal International. His legacy at the NBC includes securing a growth of 44% in a three-year period, an increase in the number of channels from 12 to 70 and a Pay-TV channel worth $500 million, as well as a growth from $5 to $100 million in a three-year period. Pete is currently the director of Antenna International, where he manages their European network. The organization focuses on the fast development of media in Eastern Europe and on investments in programming and digital companies.
Pete Smith was an NEM panelist in previous years and he sings the praises of this conference, which hosts both regional and international experts.
The media evolve day after day, new players in the market are looking to get their slice of the cake, while the old ones are trying to adapt to the novelties in the market and stay relevant. You can learn about the changes in the media world at this year’s New Europe Market, which will take place in Dubrovnik on the 12th – 15th June. This year’s edition of the conference will be the fifth consecutive one and the speakers in the panel discussions will, as every year, include renowned experts in the media world with decades of practical experience in this sector.
In addition to the panels and the market, every NEM attendee can participate in informal gatherings, exchange ideas and make business deals. If you have even an ounce of doubt about this, remember that, at NEM 2016, the producers of the Croatian show The Paper sold the distribution rights to the Israeli production company Keshet. NEM was, indeed, the beginning of a beautiful and successful story!
Simona Ercolani riceve il premio al Giffoni per I ragazzi del Bambino Gesù
Presentata la 3a edizione di MIA-Mercato Internazionale Audiovisivo
Ecco l'elenco completo del board e del comitato selezione di MIA
Chiusa con successo l'edizione 2017 di Natpe Budapest
CEETV and NATPE announce finalists for the 2nd edition of PITCH & PLAY LIVE
- Milano - 23/07/2017 Canale5 rerun entertainment show Ciao Darwin 7 won pt slot with 1.8m viewers: Rai1 rerun episode of variety Laura & Paola recorded 1.5m viewers read more
- Milano - 22/07/2017 Canale5 movie La ragazza del dipinto won pt slot with 2.1m viewers: Rai1 documentary Speciale Cose Nostre recorded 1.4m viewers read more
- Milano - 21/07/2017 Rai1 drama series Velvet won pt slot with 2.6m viewers: Canale5 movie La vita è una cosa meravigliosa reached 2.3m viewers read more
- Rome - 20/07/2017 Stand By Me got commissioned 3 new original series: Simona Ercolani CEO of SBM said that more shows will be developed read more
- Milano - 20/07/2017 Rai1 docufilm Paolo Borsellino - Adesso tocca a me won pt slot with 3.4m viewers: Canale5 drama series Shades of Blue recorded 1.4m viewers read more
- Milano - 19/07/2017 Canale5 musical event Wind Summer Festival 2017 won pt slot with 2.4m viewers: Rai1 British drama series The Halcyon reached 1.8m viewers read more
- Roma - 24/07/2017 Simona Ercolani riceve il premio al Giffoni per I ragazzi del Bambino Gesù: La serie ritornerà nel 2018 insieme alla pubblicazione del libro read more
- Roma - 19/07/2017 Ecco l'elenco completo del board e del comitato selezione di MIA: Ad essi il compito di scegliere i progetti che saranno presentati al'evento read more
- Roma - 18/07/2017 Presentata la 3a edizione di MIA-Mercato Internazionale Audiovisivo: La manifestazione si svolgerà a Roma dal 19 al 23 ottobre read more
- Budapest - 24/06/2017 Chiusa con successo l'edizione 2017 di Natpe Budapest: Ne abbiamo parlato con il presidente e CEO JP Bommel read more
- Budapest - 23/06/2017 CEETV and NATPE announce finalists for the 2nd edition of PITCH & PLAY LIVE : The event took place during Natpe Budapest in June read more
- Dubrovnik - 14/06/2017 Izzet Pinto ceo di Global Agency ha svelato i segreti del suo successo: Al Nem 2017 che si sta svolgendo in questi giorni a Dubrovnik una folla ascolta il distributore turco read more