Nem 2017: media events and focus on the future of FTA channels
Tv Events | Dubrovik | 23/02/2017
For the fifth consecutive year, Dubrovnik will not be remembered only as the best tourist destination or filming site, but, for four days, it will become the center of the finest debates on the future and the development of television. New Europe Market is a media event which hosts the leading experts in television and media, and the panel discussion on FTA channels’ ability to survive among the increasingly large competition will feature one of the most distinguished panelists of this year’s NEM: Antenna International’s managing director Pete Smith.
Survival or equal participation
When the future of television was discussed in the past, the prognoses for linear television were not optimistic. In this new era of television in which we have not only Pay-TV channels, but also subscription services such as Netflix, Pickbox and Hulu, FTA channels are still not as forgotten as we thought they would be. In spite of the fact that the technological barriers between the old and the new players in the TV industry are decreasing year in, year out, the question remains of whether the technological novelties in the market could help the traditional linear TV channels to retain their viewership. Although it is faced with a number of challenges, traditional television has been strengthened by new technologies, but does it need to become available on demand in order to retain its viewership? To which degree do FTA channels need to adapt to the market to stay relevant? Could content perhaps be the deciding factor that transcends platforms and keeps the viewers interested?
Pete Smith as one of the most prominent panelists
One of the most prominent attendees of NEM 2017 will be Pete Smith, the former president of NBC Universal International. His legacy at the NBC includes securing a growth of 44% in a three-year period, an increase in the number of channels from 12 to 70 and a Pay-TV channel worth $500 million, as well as a growth from $5 to $100 million in a three-year period. Pete is currently the director of Antenna International, where he manages their European network. The organization focuses on the fast development of media in Eastern Europe and on investments in programming and digital companies.
Pete Smith was an NEM panelist in previous years and he sings the praises of this conference, which hosts both regional and international experts.
The media evolve day after day, new players in the market are looking to get their slice of the cake, while the old ones are trying to adapt to the novelties in the market and stay relevant. You can learn about the changes in the media world at this year’s New Europe Market, which will take place in Dubrovnik on the 12th – 15th June. This year’s edition of the conference will be the fifth consecutive one and the speakers in the panel discussions will, as every year, include renowned experts in the media world with decades of practical experience in this sector.
In addition to the panels and the market, every NEM attendee can participate in informal gatherings, exchange ideas and make business deals. If you have even an ounce of doubt about this, remember that, at NEM 2016, the producers of the Croatian show The Paper sold the distribution rights to the Israeli production company Keshet. NEM was, indeed, the beginning of a beautiful and successful story!
- Milano - 20/05/2018 Head to head between Rai1 and Canale5.: Ballando con le stelle on Rai1 closed with 3.9m viewers (24.7%) while Amici on Canale5 achieved 4.1m viewers (23%). read more
- Milano - 18/05/2018 Vuoi Scommettere? on Canale5 debuts with over 4m viewers: The show is the Italian adaptation of ZDF format "Wanna Bet?", locally produced by Magnolia. read more
- Milano - 17/05/2018 Rai1 miniseries Il Confine closed with 3.7m viewers: Rai2 premiered new musical game show Scanzonissima with 1.2m viewers read more
- Milan - 17/05/2018 Focus is the new digital channel launched by Mediaset: The debut with 3 premieres: documentaries and culture is the leit-motive read more
- Rome - 16/05/2018 Rai 2 premieres Scanzonissima based on Sing if you can: The show is produced by Non Panic and distributed by Zodiak read more
- Milano - 16/05/2018 Grande Fratello 15 (Canale5) leader of pt slot with 4.2m viewers: Rai1 miniseries Il Confine achieved 3.6m viewers read more
- Zagreb - 18/05/2018 Top-quality football is the biggest blockbuster: TV rights for football competitions and matches seem to be made out of gold read more
- Roma - 18/05/2018 Convegno Anart: A chi conviene la concorrenza fra le collecting? : A Roma lunedì 4 giugno dalle ore 10.00 alle ore 17.30 al MAXXI | Museo nazionale delle arti del XXI secolo read more
- Zagreb - 18/04/2018 NEM 2018: Advertising has never been more challenging!: The panel will be held during the market in Dubrovnik on the 11-14 of June read more
- Cannes - 13/04/2018 Reed MIDEM: Cannes events welcomed 10,000 Delegates: There were some 1,480 exhibiting companies and 3,600 buyers, including 1,000-plus for VOD, the event organizer revealed. read more
- Cannes - 11/04/2018 The Treehouse Stories, Emmy® Kids Awards 2018 Winner: Produced by Dandeloo in association with Carbonara Production. read more
- Cannes - 11/04/2018 International Emmy Kids Award Winners Unveiled in Cannes: The sixth annual event were presented in partnership with Reed MIDEM read more